In the 1920s Potsdamer Platz was one of the most prominent business districts in Berlin with its department stores, government offices and hotels such as the luxury Grand Hotel Esplanade. Café Josty used to be a famous location for Berlin’s high society.
As one of the most central places, Potsdamer Platz developed into an important traffic junction with up to 20,000 cars per day. At this location the first traffic light system in Europe was installed in 1924.
During the Second World War main parts of the Potsdamer Platz were destroyed. In 1961 the Berlin wall was built, the square was divided into two parts and became stranded between East and West Germany. On this historic ground, a modern ensemble emerged that opened in June 2000 and that fascinates its visitors by its airiness and transparency.
Foundation Stone Ceremony
On October 11, 1996 the foundation stone for the Sony Center am Potsdamer Platz was laid.
Topping Out Ceremony
The Topping Out Ceremony was held on September 2, 1998.
The Sony Center am Potsdamer Platz was inaugurated in a festive ceremony with 2,500 invited guests present. Teh Grand Opening was attended by many important figures from politics, business and culture.